5.20.2010

a trip down memory lane.

Today I took the boys on a little trip to LaGrange. I spent most of my childhood years growing up in LaGrange Park, so this was familiar territory for me! I met a girlfriend and her daughter at a park I used to frequent when I was a kid. The basic layout of the park is the same, but of course the equipment has been updated. And the tree my grandma taught me how to climb is still there! It was fun and brought back so many memories. (Trying to play) softball in the baseball diamond, (trying to play) tennis in the clay courts. Can you tell I'm not too great at sports? It's so interesting the way you view things now compared to when you were a kid. The swings looked so big and I remember going so high I practically could touch the sky with my toes...nope- the swings are actually puny. :) The homes in the neighborhood surrounding the park seemed like mansions back then...they are modest homes on well-manicured blocks.

Lunch was at Palmer Place. I even caught a glimpse of Mrs. Palmer who used to be friendly with my grandma long ago when Palmer's was a deli with avocado green booths and laminate flooring. Now I'm sitting outside in the beer-garden ordering chocolate milk for my 3 year old and making sure my 1 year old doesn't throw his whole meal on the ground. How things change.

There was lots of construction on the main roads as I was heading back home, so I drove through my old hood. Funny how I could still name the families that used to live in the houses I drove past. Maybe some of the parents are still there! Past the house of my best friend in 6th grade. It used to be white with green trim, and now it's gray. Past the house of the boy I had a huge crush on in junior high. Past the house I grew up in, which looks pretty much the same from the outside thought I know it's much different on the inside. Then onto the expressway and away from that time of my life. It will be fun when the boys are older and I can show them that part of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment