5.28.2010

happy 14 months meyer!!

Yesterday was a great day. We celebrated Meyer's 14 month birthday with haircuts for both boys from Auntie Laura. Logan got his annual "summer buzz" and Meyer just got a little trim, but wow...does he look like a little boy now! You be the judge:



Logan made the cutest funny yesterday. The boys have a play tool set and Meyer was playing with one of the screwdrivers. Next thing I know, I hear, "Mommy! Meyer's trying to screw me!" Meyer was poking Logan with the screwdriver, and of course, Logan was tattling on him. It was hilarious! One of the funniest things ever. Logan has quite the personality...if he's half as funny as his daddy he'll be in good shape.

I had some cubed pork to use up so I made my specialty- Pork Fried Rice. Such a yummy recipe. I absolutely love all things pork- the fattier the better! But I need to cut down on the junk and start making healthier food choices. I filled up my fridge yesterday with all sorts of goodies in an effort to start eating fresher. We'll see how long this lasts. :) Then, to continue the pork love, I marinated some boneless pork chops in jerk paste and Matt put them on the grill. I paired them with herbed basmati rice...what an awesome dinner! The chops were tender and spicy as all get out. I will have to for sure make that one again. The jerk paste recipe? Ask and you shall receive!

recipe: Jerk Paste
source: Dressed to Grill by Karen Brooks, Diane Morgan and Reed Darmon

2-4 scotch bonnet or habenero chiles, including seeds, quartered. (I used 3 habanero- plenty of kick out of those little peppers!)
1 small yellow onion, quartered.
3 green onions, cut into 1-inch lengths.
4 quarter size slices fresh ginger.
3 cloves garlic.
1/2 c. packed chopped cilantro.
2 tbsp. kosher salt.
1 tbsp. each:
ground allspice, dried thyme, black pepper.
1/4 c. packed brown sugar.
1/4 c. fresh lime juice.
1/4 c. soy sauce.
2 tbsp. vegetable oil.

combine the chiles, yellow/green onions, ginger, garlic and cilantro in a food processor- process to a coarse paste. add salt, allspice, thyme, pepper and brown sugar, process till combined. then add lime juice, soy sauce and oil. process till mixture forms a paste. use immediately or transfer to a jar w/a tight fitting lid. refrigerate up to a month.

Today is just getting started- heading into a long weekend for Memorial Day! 5 mile run, check. Morning coffee, check. Morning naptime for Meyer, check. Meanwhile, I have a new addiction: Larabars. I've had a few different flavors now and I have to say I love them all! They are a good way to get nuts and fruit into my diet and they leave me energized as well. So a Larabar for breakfast, check. Next up, morning trip to the park as soon as Meyer wakes up! A little later, we're heading to a carnival with some family and friends. An awesome start to a fun holiday weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment