5.29.2010

my black thumb.

As much of a domestic goddess as I proclaim myself to be, I cannot for the life of me keep plants alive. I have the kiss of death when it comes to anything green or flowery. Yet year after year I try to prove otherwise.

My husband, boys and I spent the morning choosing annuals for the darling little flower boxes under our windows. I love my flower boxes- they are my favorite thing about our exterior...they make our home look so sweet and cottage-like. Two sides of our house get full-on sun all day- so we got hardy petunias for those boxes. The other two sides get partial to little sun, so we picked impatiens for those. Plus sweet basil and italian parsley for my herb planters. Last year, our flower boxes met their doom early in the season- they were all dead by August. I blame it on the pitiful soil we used. No more messing around- Miracle-Gro is the way to go! The transfer from flat to box was successful, so the countdown is on to see how long I can keep plants alive this year.

I used to consider myself a voracious reader. My love of reading started way back when I was 4, when I was told I started reading the newspaper one day and my family thought I had memorized it. I guess it was quite impossible back then for a 4 year old to be able to read! We'll put this theory to the test next year when Logan is 4. Will he follow in his mommy's footsteps? Anyway- I read anything and everything, though I prefer fiction and novels written after the 20th century. It might just be me, but I have to read a sentence from a classic about 4 times before I truly comprehend what I'm reading.

However, since having children, reading has kind of fallen off the radar. I'm too tired or I have some other sad excuse (maybe my addiction to Weeds, Mad Men, Brothers & Sisters, etc. has something to do with it) to not pick up a book. I mentioned in an earlier post that I'm going to tackle Anna Karenina this summer. But I thought it through and thought it might be best to ease myself back into the joys of the written word. I picked up 2 Jodi Picoult novels from the library yesterday and hope to NOT have to renew. That means I have 3 weeks to finish 2 books. It can be done. In my heyday, I could read a book in 8 hours. Gosh, what did I do with myself back then? :)

My husband just asked me what's for dinner. He feels like grilling out. Lucky for him, I just took a pound of jerk pork tenderloin out of the freezer. I've been making jerk pork for a LONG time. My aunt and uncle live in Florida now, but years ago, they moved around a lot. And they amassed a lot of recipes and some of them made their way to me. This particular marinade comes from someone in California. It's great for entertaining because it's easy, delicious and always a hit. I'll serve with some leftover herbed basmati rice and grilled asparagus spears tossed with salt, pepper and olive oil. I hope this becomes a favorite of yours too!



Recipe: Jerk Pork Tenderloin
Source: AJ and UT

1 lb. pork tenderloin
4 chopped green onions
1/4 c. soy sauce
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
3 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. fresh grated ginger
2 cloves minced garlic

Combine all marinade ingredients in a ziploc bag. Add pork and massage to coat. Refrigerate, turning occasionally, for 6 hours or overnight. Grill to desired doneness, basting with leftover marinade.

Now I'm off to spend some quality time with my husband now that the kidlets are napping. I need some rest to survive the afternoon at a birthday party!

No comments:

Post a Comment