5.12.2010

boobasaur?

I woke up insanely early this morning and I'm sorry to say I couldn't even blame my kids! Oh, the joys of getting old. Thank goodness for the triple-strength dose of caffeine my husband had ready for me. I nearly burned my esophagus I guzzled that roasty goodness down so fast! My morning routine, if the kids are still sleeping, of course, is to get that cup of coffee and sit down and check my e-mail and facebook pages. I click on my profile and there it is, in the form of a post from my beloved (insert sarcasm here) cousin Nick. Boobasaur. Huh. The image that phrase brings to mind is not pretty. Am I really that ancient and decrepit? Is that what my cousin thinks of me? I need an explanation so I scroll down and finally find that Nick, along with another cousin James, are up till all hours of the wee morning down in Talla"nastee" trying to come up with goofy dino-esque names for the rest of the cousins. I get boobasaur, which is actually pretty hilarious, considering I'm the oldest cousin, have given birth to and breastfed 2 children...needless to say the girls aren't what they used to be, and they weren't that great to begin with. My sister is dubbed Jerkasaurus, which fits her pretty well also. Goofy kids.

My 3 year old loves to play in the basement. He has all his trains and cars down there so he can spend hours with his best friends Steamer and Samuel, Percy and Gordon, the list goes on. I open the basement door to check on him and he tells me he's fine, but "don't come downstairs, Mommy!" Which of course gets me curious as to what he's up to down there.
Me: "Logan, what are you doing?"
Logan: "I'm glittering the couch!"
Um, glittering the couch? I head downstairs and sure enough, Logan's creating a masterpiece in red glitter all over the couch cushions. I was just happy that tar and feathers weren't involved. It's my own fault- I left his craft supplies in plain reach. Lesson learned. And easily cleaned up- thank goodness for leather couches and a dirt devil. No glitter butt in this house! :)

My husband and I are planning a long overdue update for a few rooms in our humble little abode. I've been spending a lot of time browsing the internet, magazines, and books to try and get ideas for what I like. For the bedroom, I'm leaning toward practical, romantic luxury with a lot of cozy, pretty, modern details. It's a small space, so it should be easy enough to accomplish. I am in love with this lampshade and will try to recreate my own version:



So pretty, and so easy to integrate with other textures and colors for a design neophyte like myself! Add zero design acumen to the list of qualities I was born without. But Amy Butler fabrics make it easy to look like I have some design sense! I really love her fabrics (including Floating Buds in Grey from her Midwest Modern II collection, shown on the lampshade above)...they all work together and can be mixed and matched to your heart's delight.

I'm excited for a new and improved bedroom, but what I'm most excited about is my new kitchen! I can't wait for a clean, fresh, organized kitchen! We are still in the planning stages, but we know we are custom building a dining booth that will have storage and I have a few ideas in mind that will make the time I spend in the kitchen (which is probably a third of my life!) more productive and visually appealing:
- pull out pantry that also acts as a hiding spot for dog food/treats.
- pull out waste organizer to separate trash and recycling.
- fun shelving to accommodate my ever-expanding collection of cookbooks.
- cushions for the booth that are both pretty and functional, and made of a material that can withstand abuse from a toddler and a pre-schooler!

And a wonderful end to my morning...Weeds, Season 5 is ready for pickup at my local library!! Oh, how I have missed this show. I want to be Nancy Botwin when I grow up. I don't think my husband would mind if I magically morphed into her one day. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment