5.15.2010

summer, you can come any day now...

The beautiful flowers I received as a Mother's Day Surprise from my husband and kids.


As much as I despise what hot, humid air does to my naturally curly, frizz-tacular hair, I love the summertime. Long days filled with sunshine and clear blue skies, tank tops, shorts and flip flops, weekend summer fests, barbeques and cocktails with friends and family...I love it all. So why is it mid-May and summer is still nowhere to be found? I think about or look forward to something so often, it makes time pass in slow motion. And when I don't look forward to something, it comes out of nowhere. Proof that living life day to day is most fulfilling indeed.

I'm feeling guilty today. I'm feeling a lot of things today, actually, and guilt is pretty high up there. I missed a run this week. I'm tacking on an extra mile to my long run tomorrow to help make up for it, but it doesn't change the fact that I still need to work on forgiving myself. It's been a goal of mine for a long time and I never quite get there. Maybe if I forgave myself and didn't feel guilty for goofy things like missing a workout, I'd feel so much less stress in my life. There are 2 goals to work on this glorious summer. Forgive myself and stress less. I read an article today that said that kissing provides instant stress relief. My husband came up to me out of the blue and started kissing me earlier today and I put that theory to the test. Um, yep- I instantly relaxed. Add that to the list...make out with my husband on a daily basis. So there are three things to strive for. I think I need to add one more.

I can tell that a lot of my stress stems from a lack of organization in my life. In a few areas. My home suffers the most. I live in a tiny house. We've never measured, but there are 2 adults, 2 children and an 80 pound dog (our shepherd/lab mix Cami) living in 1200 square feet or less. That's not much room. I've posted recently that we are updating our home...I'm trying to reorganize things so I don't feel constant stress from the clutter that has become my life. Problem is, I'm a pack rat. I can't seem to throw anything away! That awesome Christmas card we received from the Joneses 8 years ago? I can guarantee I still have it. We need to do a major purge and I'm pretty sure it's called spring cleaning...time is running out on that. But then life happens and reorganization gets pushed further down the list. Let's face it: the day to day things that need to get done supercede anything else and we never have time for the big projects like scrubbing the windows and blinds, or cleaning the dustbunnies under the couch. Maybe I can work on one small project a day and see what happens. Yesterday, it was cleaning out the freezer. Today, I cleaned out Meyer's bottle drawer and turned it into Meyer's sippy cup drawer.

Let's see how well I accomplish these goals 3 months from now.

Meanwhile, Matt's betting on the ponies at the OTB less than 5 minutes from our house. Dangerous. I'm really hoping that one of our trifecta bets comes in. After all these years placing bets during the Triple Crown, it would be nice if it paid off, at least a little bit! And I'm hanging out with my boys, listening to them enjoy each other and enjoying a libation. Smirnoff Ice Pineapple. Pretty tasty! I just took a batch of cookies out of the oven and they turned out delicious.

I feel decidedly less stressed now. Go figure.


recipe: Crispy Salted Oatmeal White Chocolate Cookies
source: Smitten Kitchen

1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon table salt
14 tablespoons (1 3/4 sticks) unsalted butter, slightly softened
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
6 ounces good-quality white chocolate bar, chopped (not “white chocolate” chips; they’re almost always artificial. I am adamant about this.)
1/2 teapoon flaky sea salt (like Maldon or fleur de sel) (for sprinkling on top)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and table salt in a medium bowl.
2. Beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Scrape down bowl with rubber spatula, then add egg and vanilla and beat until incorporated. Scrape down bowl again. Add flour mixture gradually and mix until just incorporated and smooth. Gradually add oats and white chocolate and mix until well incorporated.
3. Divide dough into 24 equal portions, each about 2 tablespoons. Roll between palms into balls, then place on lined baking sheets about 2 1/2 inches apart. Using fingertips, gently press down each ball to about 3/4-inch thickness.
4. Sprinkle a flake or two of sea salt on each cookie
5. Bake until cookies are deep golden brown, about 13 to 16 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through. Transfer baking sheet to wire rack to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment