6.03.2010

the spice of life.

Part of the reason I adore summer so much is that I love grilling out. Well, I guess I should rephrase that...I love that my husband grills out. Yes, I do all the prep work, but he does all the grilling which takes a lot of pressure off of me in the meantime.

And if you don't like spice, then stay out of my kitchen! I love spice rubs, pastes, etc. They just lend so much flavor to grilled meats. You could probably put a flaming sword in my mouth and I wouldn't flinch, that's how much I love spicy food. I had quite an afternoon in the kitchen whipping up some marinades! I can't wait for melt-in-your-mouth chops!!

Before I had kids, come to think of it, before I was married, I was a pretty spontaneous person. I never really made plans too often...many things were always spur of the moment. If there is one thing I miss about my former life, it's the spontaneity. So if you are reading this and are single...embrace that part of your life and enjoy it! Now that the boys are a little older, I'm able to inject some of that on-a-whim mentality into our daily lives. We have a schedule, but I am still pretty flexible...I'm also completely lucky my boys like getting out of the house as much as I do!

Speaking of schedules, I have a run planned for tomorrow and I think it's supposed to rain. We will see, but that might be happening on the dreadmill. I just realized also that I have my 10 mile run planned for Sunday, and my husband is leaving early for the drag races. NHRA (National Hot Rod Association) comes to the Joliet speedway once weekend a year and Matt and his brothers have made it an annual thing. They head out early with their grills, skillets, eggs, burgers and beers and hang out at the track all day long. I used to enjoy it too, before kids came along! It's not really the kind of thing for really young kids- the boys have to be 5 before they attend. The hot rods are so loud that you can feel the reverberations in your chest. It's awesome and a complete adrenaline rush. I never thought I'd say that, but I went to my first drag race 10 years ago and have loved it since.

Anyway, the drag races totally conflicts with my long run plan. I will have to figure something out. I always do!!

1 comment:

  1. MMM thanks for such great recipes! Huge success!! We ended up cooking together to save time and it was beautiful, I'll post pics! I have so many leftovers too including the asparagus salad I brought for lunch YUM!!!

    I can only hope to be as great as you are in the kitchen someday!! <3

    ReplyDelete