6.14.2010

first steps, etc.

It feels like a lifetime has passed since I last updated my blog! So many things have been going on, it's been hard to keep up!



First off, Meyer is officially walking!!! I thought he'd be on the move a bit earlier than 14.5 months, but it's just another milestone he and his big brother have in common...late walker. He's only walking about 65% of the time, but he's doing a pretty good job practicing! I'm 100% sure he'll be giving Evel Knievel a run for his money one of these days. The kid has no fear and has already had more faceplants than I can count. So let's hear a big hooray for Meyer!

I lost my camera. We were looking at getting a new one anyway, but I'm still so bummed about it. The boys and I went to Touch a Truck on Friday. We go every year. There is a great park close to us that hosts this annual event. Since Logan loves trucks of all shapes and sizes, he has a blast. He can pretend he's Fireman Sam off to save the world, or that he's Bob the Builder helping to construct our new house. Teehee. Anyway, my mind was on something else as usual and next thing I know, my camera is missing. Thanks to my friend Renee for dealing with my freak-out.

This weekend was so, so busy! Dinner at my parents', a visit from my dad and carbing up for my big race on Sunday was on the agenda. I always try to eat a big pasta dinner before a race and so I decided to make my famous Penne alla Vodka. I got this recipe years ago and it's actually from a Lidia Bastianich cookbook. It's delicious and has that "restaurant quality at home" vibe going on. Enjoy!

recipe: Penne Alla Vodka
source: Lidia Bastianich

Salt
35 oz. can San Marzano plum tomatoes (I've been using Racconto crushed tomatoes lately)
1 lb. penne
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
10 cloves garlic, peeled
crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 c. vodka
1/2 c. heavy cream
2 tbsp. unsalted butter or olive oil for finishing the sauce (optional)
2-3 tbsp. fresh chopped flat leaf parsley
grated parmesan cheese

Bring water to boil for pasta, add salt, and cook pasta till done.

Pour the tomatoes and their liquid into the bowl of a food processor. Using pulses, process the tomatoes just until they are finely chopped. Don't process any longer- this will aerate the tomatoes and turn them pink.

Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Whack the garlic loves w/the side of a knive and add them to the hot oil. Cook, shaking the skillet, till the garlic is lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Lower the bowl of tomatoes close to the skillet and carefully slide the tomatoes into the pan. Bring to a boil, season lightly with salt and generously with crushed red pepper, and boil 2 minutes. Pour in the vodka, lower the heat so the sauce is at a lively simmer and simmer till the pasta is ready.

Just before the pasta is done, fish the garlic cloves out of the sauce and pour in the cream. Add the 2 tbsp. of butter or oil, if using, and swirl the skillet to incorporate into the sauce. If the skillet is large enough to accommodate the sauce and pasta, fish the pasta out of the boiling water with a large wire skimmer and drop it directly into the sauce. If not, drain the pasta, return it to the pot, and pour in the sauce. Bring the sauce and pasta to a boil, stirring to coat the pasta w/sauce. Check the seasoning, adding more salt and red pepper if needed. Sprinkle the parsley over the pasta and boil till the sauce is reduced enough to cling to the pasta. Serve immediately, passing the cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment