7.18.2010

fun with friends and family.

When my husband tells me this weekend was the most fun he's had in a long time, it must have been a pretty darn good weekend. And it was. The sickies have finally left our house and now we can enjoy the rest of our summer sickie-free. Crossing fingers.

We were supposed to have dinner...a wonderful, fun, KID-FREE dinner on Friday night with some friends, but they had to cancel. So we just laid low and enjoyed some family time and delicious BLTs. Saturday was cleaning day and then my mom, stepdad and grandma came over for an awesome dinner. We had so much fun talking and eating. Matt was able to show off his grilling skills and they were in full force for sure! Our menu was as follows:

Caesar Salad, with homemade croutons and dressing
Sweet Corn
Mushroom Parsley Salad
Herbed Basmati Rice
Grilled Asparagus
Garlic Herb Shrimp
Filet Mignon Kabobs
Peach Blueberry Crumble with vanilla ice cream

I also made my Watermelon Margaritas and they were a big hit. Such fun! I hope my parents know that I show love through my food and there was a lot of it so I love them lots! :)

This morning was awesome as well. Since becoming a stay at home mom, I'm really into trying to keep my mind sharp. Months and years of singing nursery rhymes and ABCs can really turn your brain to mush. So part of my Sunday morning routine is attempting to complete the crossword puzzles in the Sunday section of the paper. But this morning, I was deterred by a most interesting article about a week long culinary bootcamp at the Chopping Block here in Chicago. Aside from actually attending culinary school, a program like this would be a dream come true! Stocks, sauces and sautes, oh my! But at $1,750 for the week...I'm pretty sure it's a dream I shouldn't be having. ;)

To escape the heat and humidity, I was going to head to the gym and do today's run on the dreadmill, but Matt wanted to join me. So we took the boys in the jogger down to the trail and ran 3 miles. A 5K was on the training schedule, but 3 miles in 28:07 with the humidity at about 100% was good enough today. Nothing like a long, sweaty run to get rid of all the tequila toxins from the night before. :)

The boys took early naps so I used the time to escape for a little while to my happy place- Home Goods. I'm in another one of my obsessive decorative moods again, so this was just what I needed. I just wish I'd brought my camera to document all my ideas!

Then it was onto dinner with friends...fun, fajitas and yes, you guessed it...more margaritas! I love summer weekends!

2 comments:

  1. Mmm sounds like a good dinner with the fam Sat night, wish I could have joined!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. enjoyed our bbq with you and your boys! dinner was outstanding...thank you!

    ReplyDelete