7.24.2010

farmer's market escapades.

I just adore farmer's markets. I love checking out all the beautiful, fresh produce and talking with the farmers and learning a little bit about their lives. My town just started hosting markets this summer...there are only a few vendors so far, so when I was in Burr Ridge this past week, I made a point to stop by. It wasn't very crowded because of the rainy weather, but that didn't stop me!! My mom was with me and she picked up some basil olive oil from The Olive Tap...super tasty! If you haven't tasted plain olive oil, you're missing out. There's something about the smooth, buttery flavor that is super appealing. Hope you and Shawn enjoy it, Mom! A few booths later, I just about died. I've been wanting to pick up some fresh flowers to adorn my little house, but I do NOT have the knack of arranging. And of course the flowers that appeal most to me are the priciest. It turns out that 2 of the vendors at the market are from 1 farm- part is fruit and vegetables, and part is flowers. There were bucket after bucket of sunflowers, zinnias, azaleas, fillers...you name it. The best part? $5 for as many stems as you could fit in your hand. What a steal, I tell you! Sold. So here's the bouquet I came up with. Can't wait to head back next week- maybe I'll pick up flowers for a few rooms!
Another vendor had gorgeous Patty Pan squash and samples of yellow, red and orange cherry tomatoes that burst with bright, fresh flavor in your mouth. We got to talking and we even exchanged a few recipes! That's when the boys discovered the fountains and had such fun traipsing through them and soaking themselves. It had started to rain again by then anyhow so what's a little more water? Who knew my boys would turn out to be such water babies?

No comments:

Post a Comment