7.25.2010

catching up.

What another phenomenally fun weekend! Times like these will definitely be fondly remembered in the dead of winter when there's a foot of snow on the ground. Then we'll be looking forward to another fun summer! Summer and spring are my favorite seasons and I could bask in the warm weather all year round. But my husband loves the changing of the seasons...as I get older, I appreciate it more for sure.

Both boys participated in the summer reading program at the library these past few weeks. The theme was "Scare Up a Good Book!" and the children's area was decorated with creatures and scary ghouls which confused Logan a little bit at first- he thought it was Halloween time! It's a fun program. Each week, in reward for completing the required reading, the boys got treats like free ice cream cones or free meals at local restaurants. They also got to spin a wheel for a prize like candy or a pencil. The last day of the program was Friday and they each got to choose a book! Logan picked out a book about penguins and Meyer's choice (my choice) was "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" which of course Logan has been requesting at bedtime. We celebrated the end of the program with Happy Meals from McDonalds. Fun!

Friday night was dinner with our neighbors. Greek chicken and this to die for Orzo Salad. The company wasn't half bad either. ;) Delicious!! Yesterday was dinner with more friends. The hosts recently became engaged so there was lots of wedding talk. And my husband was asked to be a groomsman!! Woohoo...I get to see my hubs in a tux. Can't wait. I would also like to take this moment to sing the praises of a new favorite summer cocktail. Smirnoff Blueberry Vodka mixed with lemonade, poured over ice and garnished with fresh blueberries. Absolute heaven in a glass.
Because of my indulgence, it's a miracle I woke up bright and early to meet a friend for a 7 mile run this morning. I love having a running buddy. It really takes my mind off the distance and I think it builds up endurance too- gabbing the entire 7 miles. :) We were pretty quick too...1 hour and 3 minutes.

Then it was time to get ready for the highlight of the day...a trip to the city to visit my little sister and check out her apartment and her neighborhood. She lives in the Edgewater/Andersonville area of the city. Her building is vintage 1930s and has such character. Her living space is tiny, but very well organized and super cute. I expected nothing less. :) We walked down Sheridan and stopped for coffee at Metropolis Coffee Company. Love.

Then we headed to Berger Park with some pretty awesome cafe au laits in hand. The boys had tons of fun at the playground making friends and running around while the rest of us were in awe of the views. Incredible. It seemed like we were spending the day at the beach on the east coast, not at Lake Michigan.













Lunchtime! Our options were brunch at Bananas Foster Cafe, which was tiny, crowded and didn't really accommodate out stroller, or burgers at Moody's Pub at their outside beer garden. Fantastic onion rings, fresh cut fries, 1/2 pound burgers...nothing wrong with that!
Moody Blue Burger and fresh cut fries

Then it was time to wrap it up and head home for naptime. Thanks again Lindsay! Pizza for dinner for an awesome end to a perfect weekend. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment